Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

ODU’s New Admissions Policies Affect Affordability and Access

ODU’s Board of Visitors in a 2019 meeting on tuition. The Board is the highest authority on campus. (Credit to Partners for College Affordability, 2019.)

Old Dominion has released admissions statistics for its fall 2023 freshman class, revealing major changes for the university. Stagnating enrollment and a rise in inflation reflect the adoption of a stricter acceptance rate of 90.9%, down from 95% last fall. 

At the urging of Chad A. Reed, Vice President for Administration & Finance, ODU’s Board of Visitors prepared for a smaller undergraduate cohort by voting to increase tuition by 4.1% this semester. Despite this, Old Dominion remains the most affordable doctoral research institution in the state of Virginia. 

Approximately 3103 applications were received for this fall’s entering class– around 3369 applied for the previous cycle. 

In order to combat the subsequent dip in affordability, ODU planned to raise need-based scholarships by an average of $1,372 per student. In bridging the new acceptance rate’s accessibility gap, the university announced in a press release that it had begun a partnership with Tidewater Community College. 

Called the “Monarch Ready Program,” it will allow applicants below the acceptance threshold to obtain guaranteed admission to ODU after graduating from TCC with a minimum 2.5 GPA. 

“We believe ODU has a dual commitment to fostering academic excellence, while also ensuring every aspiring student has a pathway to success,” said President Brian O. Hemphill, Ph.D. “Our doors are wide open to those who dream big and work hard, regardless of where they begin their journey.”

The freshman class also welcomes a ODU-record of 22 high school valedictorians and salutatorians. The class also saw a noticeable increase in average GPA (3.4 to 3.46), SAT scores (1124 to 1198), and ACT scores (23 to 25).

“At Old Dominion University, we recognize the ever-evolving landscape of education,” Hemphill said. “Our steadfast commitment to all levels and modalities of education, including online and graduate, is a reflection of our dedication to meet the needs of today’s learners. We strive to provide flexible, comprehensive and world-class educational opportunities, no matter where our students are or where they hope to be.”