Ambrosia: Food (or Blood) of the Gods

Photo credit: © dazzi-b/Fotolia

By Kyle Winfield, Technology Editor

Originally published on March 29, 2019.

Our society has a negative perception of aging. This has led to a whole industry of people peddling products that supposedly “halt” or “reverse” the aging process. But most of these are relatively benign in nature, sold as creams or some sort of face mask. However, there seems to be new anti-aging trend, seemingly straight out of some vampire novel.

A start-up going by the clever name “Ambrosia,” is looking to set up shop in New York City. Their aim is to treat aging by injecting blood plasma, harvested from people who are 35 years old, or younger, into whoever wants it. And can pay for it. In an email sent to Gizmodo, Ambrosia COO David Cavalier said that they are looking to open up “several locations in Manhattan.”

Don’t buy your plane ticket to New York City just yet though. While Ambrosia has received roughly 100 inquiries for the treatment, has a trial price of $8,000 per liter of blood. While that is a trial price, no actual retail price has been set.

But don’t be swayed by these prices. In an interview with Mic last June, Ambrosia founder Jesse Karmazin swore up and down about the effectiveness of the treatment. “ It reverses aging. We’re pretty clear at this point. This is conclusive. We are probably done with the clinical trial. It worked so well, we’re going to start treating people. We’re pretty amazed with this. Yeah, no, it works, there’s really no question whether it works or not,” stated Karmazin.

Despite Karmazin’s confident boasts, the scientific community has “pressed X to doubt” his claims. Phuoc V. Le, an assistant professor at UC Berkley’s school of Public Health, said that “This is an unproven remedy.” Other medical experts have made similar claims, citing trials that were too small to make such statements.

Cavalier has recently backpedalled on Karmazin’s enthusiastic claims, releasing a more measured statement to Gizmodo. “Ambrosia’s message is that young plasma has the potential to address aging and related syndromes.” Ambrosia will soon be releasing their findings from their first run of trials, which Karmazin has stated were “really positive,” which seem par for the course.

But when will the first location open, so people can act like a modern day Elizabeth Bathory? Cavalier didn’t give a solid concrete date, but rather suggested that the first location will open in the first quarter of 2019. Despite all the fanfare and positive claims that Cavalier and Karmazin have heaped upon this concept, this idea seems a little too far-fetched for my blood.