Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

ODU Music Department Boasts a Busy Spring Schedule

The ODU Brass Choir. Their spring recital will be on Apr. 18 at 7:30 p.m. at the Chandler Recital Hall. Image via oduartstix.universitytickets.com

The end of the semester is a busy time for the music department, with several concerts being held across campus.

On Apr. 5, at 7 p.m., the Chandler Recital Hall hosted a performance from the Russell Stanger String Quartet, ODU’s undergraduate scholarship string quartet. They performed two pieces: String Quartet No. 21, K. 575, by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and String Quartet No. 1, “From My Life,” by Bedrich Smetana.

The ODU Symphonic Band & Wind Ensemble presented their concert, Up & Away, at the Salem High School auditorium at 3 p.m. on Apr. 7. The Wind Ensemble featured conductor Dr. Tyler Austin, guest conductor Matthew Dockendorf, guest composer Danielle Fisher, and ODU Young Artist Competition Winner Emily Smith on the flute. The Symphonic Band was conducted by Sarah Dodge and Katie McCaffrey.

The F. Ludwig Diehn Chorale, directed by Nancy Klein, also performed on Apr. 7 at 4 p.m. at the Christ Episcopal Church in Smithfield. 

The ODU Percussion Ensemble held its spring recital at 7:30 p.m. on Apr. 8 at Roper Theatre in Downtown Norfolk. The concert celebrated Professor David L. Walker’s 25th year of teaching music at ODU. The recital featured some alumni.

On Apr. 9, ODU music and theater students collaborated to present “Through and Through: A Musical Theatre Review.” They will perform several types of songs from musical theater throughout the decades. Tickets can be purchased here for $6 for ODU students and $17 for the general public.

There will be an ODU Chamber Music Recital at 7:30 p.m. on Apr. 10 at Chandler Recital Hall. Arts@ODU’s ticket website promises “an eclectic recital featuring ODU student chamber ensembles, including the ODU Cello Choir and Viola Choir.”

Chandler Recital Hall will host another concert on Apr. 14. The ODU Jazz Choir, directed by John Toomey, will perform with guest vocalist Lisanne Lyons at 4 p.m. 

Lyons will also feature in a concert with the John Toomey Trio the following day, Apr. 15, at 7:30 p.m. in the same location. Tickets can be purchased here and start at $5 for ODU students.

The ODU Symphony Orchestra, the Virginia Symphony Orchestra, and the Governor’s School for the Arts will present a joint performance of Gustav Mahler’s Symphony No. 4, with soprano Kathryn Kelly performing vocals. The concert will be on Apr. 16. at the Sandler Center for Performing Arts in Virginia Beach.

The ODU Brass Choir’s spring concert will be performed on Apr. 18 at 7:30 p.m. at the Chandler Recital Hall. They will perform brass-exclusive arrangements and “arrangements of choral, orchestral, jazz, pop, and show music.” 

All events except for “Through and Through: A Musical Theatre Review” and Lisanne Lyons and the John Toomey Trio’s Apr. 15 concert will be free.