Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

ODU Baseball Bounce-Back, Secure Weekend Series Against South Alabama

Junior+Luke+Waters+looks+on+as+he+awaits+the+pitch+from+1st+base.+
Bruce Butler (Courtesy of ODU Athletics)
Junior Luke Waters looks on as he awaits the pitch from 1st base.

Old Dominion University’s baseball team won both games of a doubleheader against South Alabama on Friday, with scores of 8-2 and 8-3 at the Bud Metheny Ballpark. The Monarchs were hoping to complete a series sweep, but unfortunately lost 5-3 in the Sun Belt series finale on Saturday, as the Jaguars made a comeback and secured the win.

After a tough weekend in Lafayette, LA, where they lost all three games against the Ragin’ Cajuns, the Monarchs were looking for a significant bounce-back weekend.

GAME ONE

In game one on Friday afternoon, the Jaguars jumped ahead 2-0 after a two-run home run in the top of the second. The Monarchs responded as junior Kyle Edwards hit a leadoff solo home run in the bottom of the second inning, followed by a three-run blast by graduate Hunter Cole that put ODU ahead 4-2. Eventually, Old Dominion added single runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings to secure the win. 

In the bottom of the third inning, ODU increased their lead to 5-2 after junior Steven Meier hit a single down the right side, stole second base, and then managed to score off a double-play groundout from Edwards. Cole extended the lead to 7-2 after being hit by a pitch, stealing second base, and scoring on a base hit from sophomore Evan Holman. Meier scored the final run in the seventh inning when he singled, stole second and third base, and eventually reached home plate thanks to a throwing error.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Kellen Davis (3-0) earned the win for the Monarchs, while senior left-hander Jacob Gomez picked up his fourth save of the season.

GAME TWO

After experiencing an hour-long delay, both teams returned to the baseball field for the second game of their doubleheader. The Jags opened the scoring in game two on the very first pitch when junior Will Turner hit a home run to right field. However, the Monarchs were able to respond immediately in their first turn at bat. 

With two outs in the bottom of the first, junior Luke Waters earned a base off of a walk and stole second base after a failed pickoff attempt. He then advanced to third base on an Edwards single and then scored to tie the game at one. 

In the bottom of the second inning, Cole hit a one-out double to right field and gave ODU the lead 2-1 by scoring on a single up the middle of the field hit by sophomore Bryce Jones. In the top of the fifth inning, the Jaguars tried to even the score with runners on the corners and two outs but senior Kenny Levari made a diving catch to his left, preventing the tying run from scoring.

In the sixth inning, the Monarchs scored four more runs on four hits to extend their lead to 6-1. Waters hit a solo home run over the right-center field wall with two outs. Edwards followed with a base hit up the middle and scored on a Levari double to right field. Levari advanced to third base on the throw to home plate. After senior Jake Ticer came in to pinch-hit for freshman Carter Sunderman, he increased the ODU lead by delivering a line-drive two-run blast over the right field wall.

In the seventh, ODU extended their lead to 8-1 as Holman scored from second base off a Meier single to center field. Meier then stole second base and eventually scored on a Waters single down the left side. The Jaguars managed to score a couple of runs in the top of the ninth inning, but with two outs and runners in scoring position, freshman right-handed pitcher Marco Levari recorded a strikeout to end the game.

Vincent Bashara, a senior right-hander, earned the victory after pitching a scoreless fifth inning. He gave up one hit and hit one batter. Blake Morgan, a junior left-hander, started the game and allowed one run in four innings. He gave up two hits, issued two walks and finished with three strikeouts. Senior right-hander Trent Buchanan entered the game as a relief pitcher and scattered four hits, which resulted in the two unearned runs. He tallied eight strikeouts in 3.2 innings.

Overall, ODU dominated both games on Friday, outscoring South Alabama 16-5.

Junior Steven Meier stands at second base as he awaits the pitch. (Cam Easton (Courtesy of ODU Athletics) )

GAME THREE

The Monarchs took an early lead of 2-0 in the first inning on Saturday. Waters scored a solo home run to left center with two outs, adding to his tally of six home runs for the season. Edwards walked and reached third base on a K. Levari single to first and a delayed double steal effort by ODU allowed Edwards to steal home, giving the Monarchs a 2-0 lead.

In the second inning, the Jaguars scored a run as Brennan Holt walked, stole second base and advanced to third on a Tyler Borges single to left field. Holt scored on a JG Bell single to center field. In the third inning, South Alabama almost tied the score with two outs and runners in scoring position, but a line drive caught by K. Levari ended the inning.

In the fourth inning, ODU missed a chance to score despite having a 2-1 advantage. Jones and Cole stole second and third base, but sophomore Alex Bouche struck out. The Monarchs had another opportunity in the fifth inning as Meier was hit by a pitch and stole second, but got thrown out at third base off a Waters infield hit.

In the seventh inning, a one-out single and back-to-back walks allowed South Alabama to load the bases. Sophomore left-hander Bailey Matela struck out the first batter but hit the following batter, allowing USA to tie the game at two. On the following batter, junior Maverick Stallings fielded a ground ball and flipped it to Bouche at first to prevent any further damage.

Unfortunately, the Jags took the lead 3-2 with a two-out blast over the left field wall in the eighth. South Alabama extended their lead with two more runs in the ninth, a home run over the right field wall and a single, scoring a Jaguar from third. 

In the bottom half of the inning, Meier gave the Monarchs hope with a two-out blast down the right-field line, but Waters flew out to right center to end the game.

Matela (1-2) was charged with the loss after giving up the go-ahead run. He allowed one hit, hit two batters and recorded a strikeout in 1.2 innings of relief. Sophomore left-hander Dylan Brown limited the Jags to one run on three hits, two walks and one hit batter. He recorded four strikeouts in a 2.2-inning start. Sophomore lefty Ben Moore pitched for 3.1 innings, allowing one run, one hit and two walks and striking out five.

NEXT UP

Old Dominion managed to take the weekend series and improved their season record to 15-12 and 4-5 in the Sun Belt Conference. Next up for the Monarchs is another trip to Charlottesville, VA, for another contest with the Virginia Cavaliers (22-6, 7-5 ACC). First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. tonight at Davenport Field at Disharoon Park.