Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Monarchs End Losing Streak with Dominant 91-66 Victory Against Marshall

ODU Outscore Marshall 57-28 in the second half
Vasean+Allette+pulls+up+for+the+mid-range+jumper+against+Marshall.+
Bruce Butler (ODU Athletics)
Vasean Allette pulls up for the mid-range jumper against Marshall.

ODU men’s basketball has needed positive news and experienced a favorable turn of events on Thursday evening. Trailing 38-34 at halftime, the Monarchs rallied with an impressive second half, outscoring their opponents 57-28, to claim their first victory since the weekend before Christmas. 

Playing in front of an enthusiastic audience of 6,158 at Chartway Arena, the Monarchs put an end to their six-game losing streak by defeating Marshall with a score of 91-66.

The Monarchs had been in a slump, having lost ten of their last 11 games, while also dealing with the emotional setback of Head Coach Jeff Jones’ absence. Jones, who was recovering from a heart attack suffered in Hawaii the previous month, informed the team on Sunday evening that he would not return to coaching this season for health reasons. The Monarchs had some demoralizing defeats recently, including two games in which they led by 21 and eight points, respectively, only to lose by narrow margins to Georgia State and Coastal Carolina.

The game began with Chaunce Jenkins, a junior guard, scoring a mid-range jumper. Marshall quickly tied the score at 2 points each, but RJ Blakney, another junior guard from ODU, made two free throws, giving his team a slight lead. However, Marshall hit a three-pointer from the corner, putting them in the lead at 5-4. Vasean Allette, a freshman guard, briefly regained the lead for ODU, but it was short-lived as Marshall scored another three-pointer, making it 7-6. Jenkins then made a jump shot, providing ODU with a slight advantage at 8-7. Vasean hit a three-pointer from the top of the key, extending the lead to 11-7.

Chaunce Jenkins moves the ball up the court in the contest with the Herd. (Bruce Butler (ODU Athletics) )

During the game, Jenkins grabbed an offensive rebound and scored, increasing the lead to 13-7. However, the Herd fought back and eventually tied the game at 13. Both teams traded field goals before Bryce Baker hit a three-pointer, putting ODU in the lead again at 18-16. Vasean then scored a layup, increasing the lead to 20-16. After the Herd turnover, Vasean assisted Devin Caesar in hitting a three-pointer from the corner, making it 23-16.

With the score fluctuating between both teams, Marshall would then score a layup, then go to the foul line and make both free throws, bringing the score to 23-20. ODU scored two points, then Marshall made both shots, bringing the score to 25-22. Marshall scored a layup, then ODU scored a two-handed slam, increasing the score to 27-24. Vasean hit a three-pointer, bringing the score to 30-24. Marshall answered with a three-pointer, bringing the score to 30-27.

Marshall missed two free throws but quickly scored an easy layup and a mid-range jumper, cutting ODU’s lead down to one point. ODU responded with an easy slam dunk, increasing their lead to 34-31. Marshall regained the lead with a three-pointer and extended it with free throws, finishing the game with a score of 38-34.

In the second half of the game, both teams scored in an exhilarating play. Jenkins scored the first basket, followed by another that tied the game at 38. The Monarchs began well with Vasean adding a three-point shot, giving them the lead at 41-38. Marshall responded with a quick layup to get their first points of the half. Jenkins scored again to make it 43-40, but Marshall tied the game at 43 with a tough basket and a free throw. Williams then gave ODU the lead at 45-43 with his layup down the middle of the paint. Later, he found Vasean down low for the layup to make it a four-point game at 47-43.

The Herd and the Monarchs were tied at 44-44. The Herd had a chance to take the lead but only managed to convert one of two shots from the foul line. The Monarchs took advantage of this and scored, taking the lead at 47-44. Williams attempted a layup but missed the free throw after being fouled. Blakney grabbed the rebound and scored, extending the Monarchs’ lead to 51-44. Williams redeemed himself by making a three-point shot, increasing the lead to 54-44. The Monarchs started the second half strong with an impressive scoring run of 18-8. Marshall managed to score a layup for The Herd, but Essien outmaneuvered his defender and scored two points, making it 56-46.

Jenkins made two successful free throws, and the opposing team responded with a layup, but Vasean managed to score a point after being fouled while driving to the basket. Blakney then made two consecutive free throws, increasing the lead to 63-48. Marshall was able to score two free throws, narrowing the gap to 63-50. The Herd then scored a three-pointer after an ODU turnover, making the score 63-53.

Monarchs broke their scoreless streak when Williams made a layup, extending their lead by 12 points. Marshall scored two free throws, but Caesar’s mid-range jumper returned the lead to 12 points. Vasean’s three-pointer and layup increased the lead to 15 points. Baker’s three-pointers brought the lead to 24 points, making the score 85-58.

Vasean scored a layup despite a tough defense, and the Monarchs were dominating the game, leading 87-63. The game’s final score was 91-66, and the Monarchs secured their first victory in the Sun Belt conference this season.

ODU’s basketball team emerged victorious against the Thundering Herd of Marshall, despite their smaller size. The Monarchs won the rebound battle and dominated in the paint, outscoring their opponents 42-26.

Interim head coach Kieran Donohue coaches his team to victory  (Bruce Butler (ODU Athletics) )

Their defense was solid, while their shooters were in top form, making 50% of their shots. The team’s second-half performance was particularly impressive, as they made 67.6% of their shots, securing a comfortable win. Vasean Allette was the standout player, scoring 27 points and making eight assists, while Chaunce Jenkins contributed 16 points despite being in foul trouble. The Monarchs capitalized on turnovers, scoring 19 points compared to Marshall’s four. 

Coach Kieran Donohue, the Monarchs’ interim head coach, praised the team’s resilience and camaraderie, stating that he was “terrifically impressed” and “couldn’t be happier for our players.”

Old Dominion University has a busy schedule ahead as they host three upcoming games. Their next game is against Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday at 7 p.m. The Monarchs are also set to host James Madison on Wednesday, January 24th at 7 p.m. and Georgia Southern on Saturday, January 27th at 7 p.m. Notably, the Georgia Southern game will be part of a doubleheader with the ODU women’s team, who will be hosting Georgia State at 1 p.m. for their annual alumni game.