Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Theatre Auditions for ODURep’s Spring 2024 Productions Have Ended

Graphic by Loni Brown, posters via ODURep.

The auditions for both Laura Gunderson’s “The Revolutionists” and a collective known as Mischief’s “The Play That Goes Wrong” were set for Wednesday, Nov. 29 and Thursday, Nov. 30 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the University Theatre. On the final night of auditions, 43 out of the 47 registrants showed up to show off their skills and vie for roles. 

According to the flyer, participants were expected to prepare either two contrasting, one-minute monologues or one of the attached sides for each play.

The process of preparing actresses and actors for productions is an elaborate one. With less than three weeks left in the fall semester, ODURep is off to the races. According to Jim Lyden, Theatre Program Director and Set Designer, the theater department is gearing up for what will be no less than an eight-week long rehearsal. 

Aside from the usual student involvement, the auditions were open to community members as well. On top of their daily jobs and class schedules, all cast members will dedicate time between 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday to make sure the shows go off without a hitch — or it could be off with their heads. 

“I can tell you a spoiler of ‘The Revolutionists’ is the guillotine is involved,” said Lyden.

During rehearsals, Steve Earle, director of “The Play That Goes Wrong” and Kate Clemons, director of  “The Revolutionists”, will be guiding final cast members through the many intricacies involved in these critically acclaimed Broadway productions. In fact, Lyden stated that Steve Earle will be coaching several members in the cast of “The Revolutionists” in performing a British accent.

Show dates for “The Revolutionists” are set for next year Feb. 15 through 25 while “The Play That Goes Wrong” will hit the stage April 4 and show through April 14 at the Goode Theatre.