Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Waitzer Wing Doubles Barry Art Museum, ODU’s Cultural Gateway

The+Barry+Art+Museum+is+located+off+of+Hampton+Blvd.+at+the+entrance+to+the+university.+Pictured+is+an+architectural+rendering+of+the+expansion+project+done+by+Saunders+%2B+Crouse+Architects.+
The Barry Art Museum is located off of Hampton Blvd. at the entrance to the university. Pictured is an architectural rendering of the expansion project done by Saunders + Crouse Architects.

The Barry Art Museum, Old Dominion University’s gateway to culture, is getting a much-needed expansion in Fall 2024 with the Waitzer Wing. 

Founded by art collectors Carolyn and Richard Barry and opened to the public in 2018, the Barry Art Museum showcases a varied collection of modern glass, contemporary American and marine paintings, and a selection of historic dolls – including a recent purchase of a mint condition #1 Barbie

Announced at ODU’s State of the University address, the development is set to double the Museum’s gallery space, “adding a three-story wing that will include a multi-use event space, a community gallery, an educational laboratory, and more,” read an ODU press release. It will be designed by local architect Burrell Saunders, who oversaw the construction of the existing museum, which was built and owned by the ODU Real Estate Foundation. 

“Embarking on this major expansion within just five years is a testament to the transformative power of art,” said Lewis Webb, Barry Art Museum board president. “Whether you’re a student, faculty member, or simply a lover of art within our community, the Barry Art Museum showcases the remarkable achievements born from the fusion of our visionary founders and a thriving University.”

The addition aims to develop space for the recent gift of the Waitzer Glass Collection, comprising 165 works of contemporary and 20th-century glass sculpture. Raising $20 million of its $25 million goal has enabled the museum to construct an additional 25,200 square feet of showroom and storage space. The family of Leah and Richard Waitzer, “art collecting mentors of the Barrys,” are credited as the donors. 

“The ‘Waitzer Wing’ marks an exhilarating step for our institution,” said Charlotte Potter Kasic, Barry Art Museum executive director. “The expansion will not only house the past but also provide a window into the future, where new media and interdisciplinary artworks will bridge the gap between our rich history and modernity, leaving an indelible mark on our broader community and inspiring generations to come.”

The Museum’s extension is the first artistic development in a string of expansionist policies for ODU, including an upcoming integration with Eastern Virginia Medical School. A completion date for the Waitzer Wing was not mentioned. 

The Barry Art Museum is open Tuesday through Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. Admission is free.