Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Upcoming Dance Concert To Be Held at University Theater

Flyer for the fall 2023 UDT concert. Via @odudance

The University Dance Theatre Fall Concert (UDT) is just around the corner.

Every semester the dance department puts on the UDT in the University Theatre for the dancers of ODU. Though many of the performers are dance majors, auditions for the dance pieces are open for all majors. 

The concert will feature several different dance styles, such as hip-hop, modern, jazz, heels, and contemporary ballet. The dance pieces were choreographed by ODU faculty members Lauren Sinclair, James Morrow, Vicki Fink, and Janelle Spruill, along with guest choreographer Tiffanie Carson and ODU alumnae Rebekah Rickards, to help contribute unique choreography to the concert.

“I’m excited for audiences to see new types of choreography […] I hope that they can enjoy it and be surprised by our dances and hopefully be entertained,” said Lucy Durbin, one of the performers in UDT. 

I attended a rehearsal for “Letters to the Lost,” a contemporary ballet piece directed and choreographed by Lauren Sinclair. The dance tells the story of a journey of grief and loss. The piece also features solos from dancers Lucy Durbin, Miles King, Melina Dalton, and Rowan M. Carrillo Reyna.

Every dancer has been working hard, attending weekly practices to put together stunning choreography in collaboration with their directors and with each other.

“I’ve noticed a lot more collaboration with the students,” Reyna said. “[…] I love that opening and understanding, like yeah, we’re adults and we can create as well, and if we work together, we can make something really great.”

“I’m excited for [the audience] to experience the joy, the passion on stage, just feel what we feel, feeling what we’re portraying on stage,” said Dalton.

The University Dance Theatre Fall concert will run from Nov. 15-17 at 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 18 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased here and start at $12 for ODU students.