Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Hixon Art Gallery Hosts Student Art Show

Myles Perry
Avery Keys, president of the Student Art League, works on a painting.

The Student Art League is bringing new student art to the ODU campus in the Hixon Art Gallery. 

Supporting local art has become more important than ever as the digital landscape transforms daily life. Classes may be taken online, video-calling and social media allow long-distance friendships, and food from any restaurant may be delivered to your location with the use of half-a-dozen delivery apps. This often comes at the loss of artistic events in the regional community; a driver of industry and artistic creation. Art can deliver community interaction, as  seen via certain ODU campus events.

Spotting the Pride Rock just west of the Engineering Systems Building makes evident the excitement of a fresh school year, with various student organizations vying for visibility. As homecoming nears, Kaufman Mall bustles with various student organizations painting their pride during the annual  “Claim Your Crown” event. Through purposeful community interaction and reinvigoration of local art projects, one student organization at ODU is seeking to showcase student’s creative potential. 

The Student Art League, or SAL, wants to expand artistic expression on campus. The SAL member show opened at the Hixon Art Gallery on Sept. 25. This show highlights the talents of students in the ODU community. The SAL is only starting to ramp up their campus art projects. 

“[Students could] do a mural on campus. Something where you can paint with temporary paint and it just washes away,” said Avery Keys, organization president. 

Many of the school’s older buildings abound with blank walls inspiring nothing but blank expressions. Bringing more art to campus and to the Norfolk community builds the school’s potential as a cultural and artistic center.  

Under Key’s leadership, the SAL aspires to bring more art to the community. For artists, it’s “important getting off campus and getting into the community, it’s just about getting your name out there and your work out there,” said the organization president.

But the SAL isn’t only for those studying an artistic discipline. In order to foster community and fellowship around art, the organization seeks the unique experiences, skill sets, and ambitions of all specializations: “we aren’t just for art students… we’re trying to [help] make this school more artistic…  it’s good to make those connections with your peers and the community.” 

Existing opportunities for art consumption and production are pushed by the SAL as well. “There’s art galleries in the area and craft festivals too,” said Keys. Craft art festivals not only support artists through the sale of items that blend artistry and utility, but they also allow consumers to support artists while enriching their lives with community-derived items. 

The Student Art League showcase in the Hixon Art Gallery will run until Oct. 8. The Student Art League can be found on Instagram @odu.sal.