Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Big Blue Records Open For Music Recording Needs

Sound mixer in the Big Blue Records recording studio in the Diehn Center. Via “big-blue-records.square.site”

Big Blue Records is now accepting sessions to record, mix, and edit music tracks. Located in the Diehn Center for the Performing Arts, Big Blue Records seeks to provide music students with a space to help them bring their artistic visions to life.

“It was a way to allow our students to have an end goal and give them real-world experience of being able to run sessions,” said studio manager Joichaun Taylor.

Big Blue Records provides a plethora of professional recording and mixing equipment to produce music or record auditions. For instrumentation needs, they can also provide a drum set, a few keyboards, and a grand piano. Sound engineers affiliated with the studio can help produce the music, but clients are free to bring their own producers. The pricing varies depending on the work done during the session, but ODU affiliates receive a discounted rate.

Recording sessions are available in blocks of two hours, three hours, four hours, and six hours. Mixing, video, and video editing sessions lasting for an hour are also available. Recording sessions are held in various locations throughout the Diehn Center, including a live room for recording ensembles and bands to work in and an isolation room for 1-2 to record. The choir room and the Chandler Recital Hall are also available for even larger recording groups. 

Despite its focus on student needs, Big Blue Records is open to anyone who can benefit from an accessible, affordable studio.

“It’s really hard to find a professional studio that’s open and accessible to the public and not gatekept,” said Taylor. “We want people to know that we’re here to spread music around.” 

To book a session or find information about Big Blue Records’ policies and procedures, available rooms, and available equipment, go here.