Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Lady Monarchs Secure Victory Against Richmond with Lone Goal 1-0

Old Dominion have won four-straight games with no goals allowed
Lady+Monarchs+celebrate+after+a+goal+
Stephen Blue (Courtesy of ODU Athletics)
Lady Monarchs celebrate after a goal

A goal from freshman defender Ashlyn Kulha in the 10th minute of play proved to make the difference between Old Dominion and the Richmond Spiders (1-2-1). After their 1-0 victory against VCU in Richmond on Thursday evening and the victory on Sunday, the ODU women’s soccer team (4-0-0) is off to its best start in 15 years, when they began the season 5-0-0. 

It was Pack The Park Night for the women’s team in an attempt to break their previous home crowd record from 2022 when they hosted Virginia Tech in front of 1,033 fans. 2023 brought out 829 spectators for the contest between these two schools. 

Right out of the gates, it was ODU bringing the pressure as graduate midfielder Malia Mariano struck a shot on goal that was saved by Spiders goalkeeper Taylor Montague. ODU began to force the attack and gained early momentum. In the 9th minute, the Lady Monarchs capitalized on their first corner kick of the evening as sophomore midfielder Andrea Balcazar Algarin found Kulha in front of the net, who then netted the early score. 

In the 16th minute, ODU had another opportunity to strike another goal when junior forward Rhea Kijowksi shot it left of the net, but Montague was there to make her second save of the half. As the game went on, the Spiders began to force some pressure on the Lady Monarchs’ defense with several shots that went wide of the net.

Old Dominion held Richmond off the board through the first 45 minutes with five shots to the Spiders four. It was an even effort and both squads had two corners apiece, but Montague was key, as she made three saves for Richmond, keeping the match at 1-0. 

“I thought we started really well and what a goal by Ashlynn to take the lead —it was incredible. Then I think the game became a little scrappy and we needed half-time to reset a little,” said head coach Angie Hind when asked about her team’s first-half performance.

With substitutions being made for both rosters to begin the second half, the Lady Monarchs had an early chance in the 49th minute off a shot from Kijowski as the ball sailed the top of the crossbar. She was later tagged for a yellow card in the 57th minute. As play continued, ODU remained in control of the match. 

In the 68th minute, ODU was awarded a corner kick that gave sophomore defender Jenna Daveler a chance to score, but the ball missed out left. Another shot attempt came from junior defender Anessa Arndt in the next minute, who also missed to the left of the net. Algarin Balcazar added another shot attempt in the 73rd minute that went out the top of the goal. 

Richmond was held shotless throughout the first 40 minutes of the second half as ODU maintained control. In the 86th minute, junior goalkeeper Emily Bredek accounted for her first save of the match off a shot from Hannah Antonick. The match remained the same the rest of the way as Old Dominion scored a 1-0 victory over the Spiders, improving their winning streak to four matches with clean sheets. 

ODU outshot the Spiders 6-1 in the second half and 11-5 shot totals, with five of those shots on goal. The duo of ODU goalkeepers in senior Erin Jones and Bredek continue to excel in goal, as they have shut out their first four opponents with nine saves off of 28 shots faced. The Lady Monarchs had the advantage in corner kicks (4-2) while Richmond accounted for four saves to one. With this victory, Old Dominion leads the all-time series 10-6-2. 

After the match, Hind assessed her team’s performance in overcoming the strength of their opponent through the adjustments made in the second half. She expressed her gratitude to the fans who showed up to support her squad. 

“Second half we played with a bit more composure, but just couldn’t find a second goal which kept the game tight,” Hind said. “Delighted to get the win tonight against a very tough and resilient Richmond team. A big thanks to Monarch Nation for their support!”

Next up for the women’s soccer team is a trip to Blacksburg, Virginia, when they face off against Virginia Tech (2-1-1) on Thursday, Aug. 31. The Lady Monarchs return home on Sunday, Sept. 3, with a 6 p.m. match against William & Mary for Club Soccer Night and Housing and Residential Night.