ODU Dance Program Hosts February Auditions for Scholarships

Photo credit to the Old Dominion University Dance Program.

By Ash F.J. Thomas, Contributing Writer

The Old Dominion University Dance Program is holding auditions for students to qualify to become a dance major. In-person auditions will be held on Feb. 4 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. All auditions, including online auditions submitted by March 1, will be considered for dance scholarships. After this deadline, ODU’s dance program accepts online auditions on a rolling basis. Applicants must also be enrolled as a student at ODU. Applicants must submit a resume of their dance experience and training through the online application portal, where they can also submit their online audition video if they are unable to attend the in-person auditions.

The dance program at ODU provides students with courses on dance training in multiple disciplines, with opportunities for collaboration and research. A part of the university’s Department of Communications and Theatre Arts, the program offers a BA in Theatre and Dance, either in dance performance or dance education, and a minor in dance. The program gives two concerts per year and features student, staff and guest choreographers. There are multiple other opportunities for dance students to perform.

Six dance scholarships are awarded each year in amounts between $700 and $4,500. These scholarships include the Eva May Morris Gregory Scholarship, the Marilyn Marloff Scholarship, the Marilyn Marloff and John Luker Scholarship, the Amanda Kinzer Memorial Scholarship, and the Melchor Award. The Eva May Morris Gregory Scholarship requires the recipient to be a rising senior with an overall GPA of at least 3.0.

More information on auditions and the dance programs can be found here. The link to the application portal can be found here.