Last-Minute Goal Results in Lady Monarchs Defeat against Delaware 12-11

%2316+Jenna+Peccia+stands+her+ground+in+the+net+as+the+ball+comes+into+the+zone.+

ODU Athletics

#16 Jenna Peccia stands her ground in the net as the ball comes into the zone.

By Benjamin Draper, Sports Editor

A last-minute goal was the difference on Saturday afternoon as the Old Dominion women’s lacrosse team fell to the University of Delaware 12-11 at L.R. Hill Sports Complex. The Lady Monarchs came into the matchup with a 5-6 record and back-to-back victories over Niagara and Howard University last week. The Blue Hens came into the afternoon with an overall 2-7 record and were looking to win consecutive games for the first time this season.

#3 Lily Siskind takes possession of the ball and moves it down the field. (Nicholas Clark)

Both teams took the field and got prepared for the face-off. With only 40 seconds having gone by in the game, Delaware got on the board first with an early goal. The Blue Hens extended their lead up to three after tallying two more goals in the next two minutes of the first quarter. Old Dominion fired back with consecutive goals from senior Lilly Siskind and sophomore Corrinne Stratton in an 80-second span. The Blue Hens responded with another goal that brought their lead to 4-2 mid-way through the first. ODU tallied two more goals later in the quarter as junior Maddie Mullenbach brought the deficit to within one and Carolina Shaefer tied the score at four with a little over three minutes to go. The game remained tied at four going into the second quarter. 

In the first few minutes of the second quarter, graduate student Claire Porter gave ODU its first lead of the game. With just under ten minutes in the quarter, the Lady Monarchs added another goal as freshman Sydney Taylor made it 6-4 after being awarded a free position shot. It was a back and forth affair throughout the game as the Blue Hens then came back with consecutive goals that tied the match at six. Both teams went into halftime even at six apiece. 

Coming out of the break, Old Dominion was the first to strike in the second half after Siskind tallied her second goal of the day. A few minutes after the ODU goal, Delaware retaliated with multiple goals that took the lead back 8-7. Not too long after, the Lady Monarchs answered with two more goals from sophomore Haley O’Connor, tying the score at eight, and Mullenbach, scoring her second in the afternoon that gave ODU the 9-8 lead. Stratton extended the ODU lead to 10-8 before the Blue Hens again fought back to tie the game at ten. The score would remain tied at ten going into the final frame. 

#30 Paige Angelus and #28 Jessica Pisani try to take back the possession of the ball from the Howard defender. (ODU Athletics )

Neither team was able to break the tie until the eight minute mark in the fourth when Delaware pulled ahead 11-10. Just over 90 seconds later, the Lady Monarchs responded as Porter connected with Taylor who tied the score at 11 with 6:33 remaining in the match. The game remained even until the last minute of regulation. With 37 seconds left in the contest, the Blue Hens broke the tie with a late goal after the ball struck past sophomore goalkeeper Jenna Peccia. That goal would seal Delaware’s 12-11 victory over Old Dominion. It may have not been the outcome that Peccia had wanted, but she registered a career-high 20 saves for the Lady Monarchs. Siskind finished the game with two goals and two assists, while Taylor had two goals and one assist. 

Old Dominion concluded non-conference play with an overall 5-7 record and will begin the American Athletic Conference action next weekend as they travel down to East Carolina University. Their matchup with the Pirates is scheduled for Saturday, April 2nd at 1p.m.