ODU Police Department Hosts Student Outreach Event

Nicholas

An Old Dominion University Police vehicle. Photo by Nicholas Clark

By Jonathan Fernandes, News Editor

Old Dominion University’s Police Department will be hosting an event to spread traffic stop awareness on Feb. 24 in the Webb Center from noon to 1:30 p.m. Pizza and refreshments will be provided by ODU PD as they engage the student body in an interactive session meant to highlight the do’s and don’ts of traffic stops on campus. The event is intended to be “fun and interactive”, with the goal of fostering a sense of community between the students and ODU PD.  

Last month saw only 4 traffic arrests by ODU PD and this event is to ensure that number drops even lower. Officer Tommy Evans Jr., the outreach coordinator for the department, said the department will be placing a renewed focus on connecting with the student body. 

Education breeds understanding. I think it helps everybody understand what we need to do when we interact with each other.  My unit, we promote educating community members on what they need to do. This event will explain things in a fun way so that everyone has a better understanding of what to do during a traffic stop.

— Officer Tommy Evans Jr.

ODU PD asks that students RSVP to the event. All students are welcome and encouraged to attend. ODU PD aims to have an outreach event every other month to support and engage the community, building the relationships between students and law enforcement.