Providing Student News to Old Dominion University Since 1930

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

Mace & Crown

ODU Men’s Basketball Announce Early 2024 Recruiting Class

This recruiting class is the program’s best ever, ranked 29th nationally by 247Sports.
Chris Taleghani (Courtesy of ODU Athletics)

On Wednesday afternoon, Jeff Jones, the head coach of Old Dominion University men’s basketball, announced the addition of Caden Diggs, Ethan Lathan, and Deion Ware to their early 2024 signing class.

When talking about the upcoming class, Coach Jones is excited to bring in skilled players with strong character for the upcoming recruiting class.

“Obviously we are ecstatic with this recruiting class. They are a talented trio but just as important, their positive character and desire to improve signal a bright future for all of them,” said Jones.

The first player to talk about is Caden Diggs. He is a 6-7, 192-pound wing from that is from Waldorf, MD. He is a talented athlete who plays for The Bullis School. He was recognized as an All-Metro DC third-team selection during his junior year and also received first-team All-Conference honors. He holds the distinction of being the highest-rated recruit in program history according to 247sports.com, with a national ranking of 97th. During the summer, he plays for New World AAU 3SSB. Diggs had multiple offers to choose from, including Oklahoma State, Iowa, Seton Hall, Richmond, and George Washington, but he ultimately decided to commit to ODU. 

“Caden is a wonderful young man, an outstanding student and just oozes potential as a basketball player. He has great positional size with a well-rounded skill set and has been extremely well coached at Bullis by a highly respected coach in Bruce Kelley,” said Coach Jones. 

“I chose ODU because of my relationship with Coach Jones, Coach Jordan Brooks, and the staff. They were easily the most consistent school in my recruitment,” Diggs stated. “My official visit there was wonderful, Norfolk is comfortable and feels like home. I am excited for the opportunity that is presented here, and I can’t wait to get on campus.” 

The next player on the 2024 recruiting list is Ethan Lathan. He is a 6-11, 220-pound center from Rockford, IL. He has decided to play his final year at Arizona Compass Prep. He had several options to choose from, including Dayton, Georgia Tech, Indiana State, and LSU, but ultimately chose to attend Old Dominion University. During his junior year at Calvary Christian Academy in Florida, he maintained an average of eight points and six rebounds per game. He spent his summer playing with SOH Elite and was ranked as the 116th top player by 247sports.com. Additionally, ESPN has recognized him as a four-star recruit.

“The first thing that jumps out at you about Ethan is the way he can move at his size. That is extremely rare. While Ethan was heavily recruited, he has a humble nature and will continue developing his game. The sky is the limit,” Coach Jones said. 

“I chose ODU because of the overall family feeling and how the coaching staff treated the team when I was on my visit. I felt like I was a part of their family on my visit and I loved how the city of Norfolk embraces and loves their Monarchs,” Lathan stated. “Coach Brooks has been recruiting me for the last couple of years and followed me all around the country, and while ODU was my first scholarship offer it was something I had to strongly consider. Coach Jones has been great through the whole process and I believe in him with my development.”

The third player from the recruiting class of 2024 is Deion Ware, who is a 6-5, 180-pound guard from New Orleans, LA, and a student at Montverde Academy in Florida, where he is expected to play basketball this season. He had previously led his Texas high school team to the state championship game in his junior year and was also awarded All-State honors. He is a talented and athletic guard, capable of driving to the rim and finishing strongly. During the summer, he plays for the Houston Defenders and is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports.com. 

“I am so excited about Deion joining the Monarch family. He is a high-flying athletic playmaker with an infectious smile and great energy. I know he can’t wait to get to Norfolk,” Coach Jones stated. 

“I chose ODU because of the family feeling I got on my official visit. My family and I loved Coach Jordan Brooks’ consistency in the recruitment process,” Ware stated. “I built a great relationship with Coach Jones and the coaching staff was very genuine on what to expect if I was to sign with ODU. I admire the fact that Coach Jones is very passionate about coaching. Let’s go Monarchs!”

Coach Jones has put in a tremendous effort to recruit top talent and improve the ODU men’s basketball program. The latest signing class is the best in program history, indicating exciting times ahead for Old Dominion on the court.