ODU Football Bring on Tarron Williams as Cornerbacks Coach

By Art Neal, Associate Sports Editor

Head Coach Ricky Rahne is looking to find his crown again after ODU’s 2022 football season started strong but declined as the season progressed. 

The football staff has already been bolstered this off-season with the hire of Kevin Decker as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, as well as Alex Huettel as the offensive line coach. Rahne intends to strengthen the defensive side of the ball with his most recent hire of Tarron Williams as the new cornerback coach. 

Before coming to ODU, Williams was immersed in mid-Atlantic football for his coaching career. Williams spent time as a player at Gardner Webb’s, where he was a three-year starter for their secondary. He made his name known in the classroom when he made the Big South Presidential Honor Roll twice while at GWU. Williams got his start in coaching at his alma mater by serving as a student assistant coach in the spring of 2009, prior to his graduation. 

After graduating with his psychology degree, Williams headed to Darlington High School in South Carolina, where he coached defensive backs. Williams got back into college football through his role as a graduate assistant at Lenoir-Rhyne from 2010-12. While in school and coaching at Lenoir-Rhyne in Hickory, North Carolina, Williams graduated with a master’s degree in community counseling with school licensure. 

Williams’s career as a coach truly kicked off when he spent two years at James Madison University, first as a defensive quality control coach in 2016 and then as an assistant defensive line coach in 2017. Williams was a part of the dominant stint for JMU. He aided with safeties on the 2016 National Championship team and then helped coordinate in-state recruiting for the 2017 FCS runner-up team. 

Williams’ talent as both a recruiter and a coach shone during his time at VMI. He coached Freshman All-American Collin Loftis in 2018 and recruited 2019 Freshman All-American Aljareek Malry. 

Williams spent two years in the Sun Belt with ECU as their Director of Player Development and assisted with the cornerbacks. He helped coach Jacquan McMillan to all-conference honors. 

Recently, Williams spent time in the 804 with the University of Richmond, where he served as the cornerback’s coach and defensive pass game coordinator. In 2021, the Spiders had Top-15 finishes in third and fourth down defense, as well as Top-25 finishes in scoring defense, defensive TDs, and tackles for a loss. 

Williams helped Richmond to a 9-4 record in 2022 and an advance into the second round of the FCS playoff prior to being defeated by No. 2 Sacramento State. Williams played a part in building a dominant defense from the Spiders: they finished Top-20 in defensive categories like points allowed, first downs allowed, third-down defense, turnover margin, total defense and defensive touchdowns. The cornerbacks especially shone when they scored all three defensive touchdowns on the season. Williams additionally helped to guide yet another cornerback, Tyrek Funderburk, to All-CAA honors. 

When Rahne was asked about his new hire, he shared his enthusiasm for what Williams brings to the team. 

We are excited to add Tarron to our staff. He brings a wealth of experience in a variety of positions,” Rahne said. “He has been very successful recruiting in our region and his players have consistently performed at a championship level.”

ODU hopes their new coaching additions will help them bounce back in their second season in the Sun Belt Conference. 2023 season tickets are currently available for purchase or renewal at YNotTix.